Sunday, August 9, 2015

Racing Thoughts + Romanian Mythology

Aloha My Dears,

A few nights ago I was laying in bed, attempting to go to sleep, but I couldn't achieve my goal. My mind kept racing with various thoughts that spanned across various topics. I decided I needed to write something down. I then received inspiration for a short narrative, which I have copied below. However, if you are reading this promptly before you go to bed and you, like me, are easily effected by slightly creepy writings, I would encourage you to wait until morning to read it.

Strigoi
-----

Glass shattering.
I awoke that night exactly at midnight. The classical music I played to help me fall asleep had turned off as scheduled. I rolled over to face the right side of the bed. Five minutes pass. I was almost asleep again when I heard the music turn back on, seemingly of it’s own accord. I opened my eyes and looked at the wall I was facing.
People screaming.
I was greeted by a shadow, but not my own or even one I recognized. Too frightened to roll back over to see what caused said shadow, I instead simply watched the wall. The shadow didn’t move for at least ten minutes, but then it disappeared completely. Confused, I drifted back into a troubled sleep.
Bombs exploding.
When the morning came and my alarm went off, I awoke with the memory of the previous night etched into my brain. It all had been far too real to have been a dream or a figment of my imagination. Who caused that shadow? Or is the proper question not “who”, but “what”? Throughout the day I found myself pondering the shadow’s shape and nature, and finally came to the conclusion that it was not, in fact, a human form.
Blood flowing.
That night I found myself awoken again exactly at midnight. The previous night’s events were repeated, except for one difference: the shadow stayed longer this time. Rather than staying only ten minutes, it stayed for fifteen. And this time, it didn’t just stand still… It swayed from side to side in time with the various Beethoven and Mozart pieces that played. Then again, it disappeared without a trace.
Spectators weeping.
Night after night this happened, with the shadow extending it’s stay each night. On the sixth night, I had had enough. The music began to play that night and the shadow once more appeared. After a full hour of mustering up all my courage, I rolled over to face my visitor. I wish I hadn’t have done that. Because there, standing in my bedroom before my very eyes, was a Strigoi.
Evil laughing.
If you are not familiar with Romanian mythology, let me enlighten you: The Strigoi is a troubled soul from beyond the grave, and he is ready to devour your blood and roam the Earth once more. He can also become invisible and transform into the shape of an animal. A creature of demonic lineage, the Strigoi is so feared in the country of Romania that there are still cases of graves being dug up to eliminate the vampiric menace. Romania is nearly 7,000 miles away from my California home, yet here this creature is, in my bedroom, gazing back into my eyes.
Heart stopping.
I can’t remember what happened next. In fact, I can barely remember sitting down to write this. I don’t know where I am or whether I am the only one here. I constantly have this feeling that I am being watched. I can’t feel my fingers typing, nor can I control what they say. It’s as if someone has control of my body, except for my eyes. I still maintain control of my eyes. Maybe it’s an act of mercy from the creature inside me, by giving me the choice to look away from the acts my body is committing. Could this mean that whatever this being has in store for my body will be far more heinous than I myself could possibly imagine, let alone stand to watch?
Darkness cascading.
California: The new home to an ancestral Romanian plague?
---

Well, that's all I have for you this time. Please try to contain your sarcastic sighs of disappointment.
Ciao! -M

No comments:

Post a Comment