Monday, June 29, 2015

Netflix + Sociopathic Characteristics

Shalom My Friends,
I hope this post finds you well in your endeavors on this fine June evening. As I write this, I am sitting on a blanket on top of my roof, gazing out onto the suburban life below. Perhaps it was the view which inspired me to write this next post, but I'm not sure.

I enjoy watching Netflix. It is one of the few things that relaxes me. Just give me a mug of tea and Netflix, and I can waste a few hours or more just relaxing. Recently, I found myself entranced by the television show Dexter. For those of you who don't know, Dexter is a show about a serial killer whose only victims are criminals who are guilty of crimes for which they have been pardoned. The main character, Dexter Morgan, is a sociopath; meaning he has no concept of emotion or moral standing. He does live by a code, one put in place for him by his late father. As I watched the events of an episode unfold, one which featured Dexter's girlfriend Rita, a thought occurred to me: "Rita has emotions. She isn't a sociopath... But what if she were? What if both Dexter and Rita were both attempting to feign their feelings of love toward each other. How would their lives be different?" This thought inspired me to write a few words about that situation. This is what I came up with:

A Sociopathic Romance
-----
Embracing with no feeling.
Running unemotional fingers along smooth skin.
A kiss with no spark.
Hands fumbling around with no direction or drive.
A knife without a blade.
Two people pretending to feel something they've never known,
Each one trying to fool the other into believing that their love is real,
But they themselves can't even begin to imagine the reality they attempt to portray.
They don't even know how to think it, let alone feel it.
It's a ruse
With the one thinking the other is true,
And a lack of feelings to be perceived.
Sociopaths feigning romance.
-----

It's not much, but it's something. I was simply intrigued by that idea.
Short though this post was, I believe it has done it's duty. Thusly, I shall pardon you to return to whatever activities have stricken your fancy.
Godspeed, my friends. -M

No comments:

Post a Comment