Thursday, March 5, 2015

Pinterest + Patient Love

Top of the morning to you, my friends!

Last night, after the birth of this blog, I couldn't sleep. I found myself in a haze of thoughts, most seeming to not pertain to my life in any manner. What did I do? I accessed my Pinterest board of writing prompts and soon fluttered into a world entirely of my own creation.
This writing prompt told me to "write a scene beginning with the words 'He waited for her'". This I did. Well, it may not be a scene, but it is something. Perhaps it lands within the classification of poetry. I'm not sure, so I leave that up to you, my darling readers. Below I have written out my Pinterest-inspired work. Beware, you may find yourself in a more solemn mood after reading it.
--
Patient Love
--
He waited for her.
Suitcase in hand, plane ticket in his breast pocket.
He stands in the drizzling rain and just waits.
Never once does he falter in his faith that she will come. They had been planning this trip for a long time.
His cellphone rings but he doesn't answer it, he doesn't even hear it.
Twenty minutes pass. She wasn't there.
Still he stood.
Thirty minutes. No sign of her.
Never does he waver.
Forty five minutes.
He looks around at the people rushing past him, he hears the sirens.
An hour has passed.
"Things have changed around here," he thinks to himself, "and still she hasn't come."
He takes the ticket out of his pocket and reads the date and time of a flight they had missed 20 years ago.
He sets down the empty suitcase.
He stands on that corner every year at the same time, trying to relive last time he was truly happy.
When she was his and he never had to share her with anyone or anything.
And now he shares her, but only with a coffin and a tombstone bearing her name.
But still he waits for her.
--

Leave me a comment or two about what you think of my work. Thank you for reading it. -M

No comments:

Post a Comment